The Achieving Our Mission Blog Series is our way of keeping our stakeholders abreast of our plans and goals for achieving our organizations mission. It is our hope that you will find a away to support these initiatives and get involved.
According to a recent survey, African American girls aspire to be leaders more than any other group of girls. In fact, 53 percent of African American girls surveyed expressed a desire to be leaders as compared to 50 percent of Hispanic girls and 34 percent of Caucasian girls. Yet “opportunities for leadership are scarce” for girls, even today.
Ultimately, educators’ perceptions of African American young women often involve racial and gender stereotypes —and this undermines their potential for success —so it is imperative that African American girls get access to programs that foster their self-esteem and provide them with meaningful leadership opportunities.
Our Goal: Support leadership development among African American girls.
To address the leadership opportunity gap for girls and to support the continued leadership of African American girls and women we plan to:
- Expose African American girls to African American women in leadership positions — through ongoing mentoring programs, field trips, and guest speakers — so that they know they can achieve their goals and grow to be successful women.
- Help girls develop resilience and leadership skills like conflict resolution, healthy communication, and problem-solving.
How You Can Help
- Become a mentor: Complete our volunteer application and become a mentor for a girl today. http://leadingladiesoflegacy.org/?page_id=158
- Sponsor a field trip: Donate to our organization in the amount of $500 or more to sponsor a field trip. http://leadingladiesoflegacy.org/?page_id=15
- Become a guest speaker: Email firstname.lastname@example.org with details of what it is you’d like to speak to our girls about.